Title & Registration Costs
When applying for a Colorado title and/or registration, you are required to pay all applicable fees and taxes. The following is a brief explanation of these.
Title Application Fees
- Title Fee: $7.20
- Lien Filing Fee: $5 per page, per side up to legal size; $10 per page, per side for documents over 14 inches in length or over 8.5 inches in width
Sales taxes are based on the vehicle purchase price. Colorado state sales / use tax is 2.9 percent, RTD sales / use tax is 1.1 percent and Adams County sales tax (due only if purchased from another Adams County resident or a dealer located in Adams County) is 0.75 percent. City sales / use tax is based on your place of residency and is in addition to the above taxes. Tax rates for cities located in Adams County are as follows:
Vehicle Registration Fees
Registration fees (license fee plus an ownership tax) are based upon the year, weight, taxable value and month of registration. Since these figures are not the same for all vehicles, this site cannot provide you with exact fees. The license fee is based upon the weight of your vehicle, while the other factors determine your ownership tax. The formula below can be used to calculate the ownership tax portion of your fees.
- Light truck: 75 percent of MSRP (sticker price)
- Passenger vehicle: 85 percent of MSRP (sticker price)
- Year of service (manufacturer year counts as the first year of service);
- First year: 2.1 percent of tax value
- Second year: 1.5 percent of tax value
- Third year: 1.2 percent of tax value
- Fourth year: 0.9 percent of tax value
- Fifth - ninth year: 0.45 percent of tax value
- 10th year and above: Minimum of $3 per year
Ownership & Prior Ownership Tax
This fee is a personal property tax. This tax is based on the year of the vehicle, original taxable value and date of purchase (on newly acquired vehicles) or previous expiration date of the license plates (on expired renewals).
There are additional fees collected on vehicles. These fees are due because of legislative mandates. For further explanation please contact the Motor Vehicle Office at 720.523.6010.